Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Calder, Conte, and more

Happy Hannukah, everyone!

Late last night, I finished The Calder Game. Not a bad kidlit whodunit--and definitely worth reading.

The art history and art background are fantastic and fascinating. I've read both this and the first book in this series (Chasing Vermeer) and found the denoument of both books somewhat of a fizzle. I found myself skimming along in a many places, which can be a good sign (I can't wait to see what happens!!!) or a bad sign (I really want to know what happens but am not engaged enough to stand reading every last detail). For C.V. and T.C.G., it was a little of both and somewhere between. But I still enjoyed them...

Then this evening, I went to Trinity Lyric Opera's holiday double bill of Amahl and the Night Visitors and the West Coast premiere of David Conte's Gift of the Magi, which closed tonight at the S.F. Conservatory. (The first two performances were at the Castro Valley Center for the Arts.) More on this tomorrow as it is muy spaet at this point...

What I'm reading: Started David B's graphic novel Epileptic and Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie by David Lubar.

What I'm listening to: as above, plus continuing with the fun Beginning Arabic CD.

What I'm working on: nuthin' new here

No comments: